Deadline: 13 JULY 2023
Agricultural Research Council (ARC) Agricultural Economist Job 2023
The Agricultural Research Council (ARC) is a premier science institution that conducts research with partners, develops human capital and foster innovation in support of the agricultural sector. It provides diagnostic, laboratory, analytical, agricultural engineering services, post-harvest technology development, agrochemical evaluation, consultation and advisory services, food processing technology services as well as various surveys and training interventions. Through its wider network of research institutes and experimental farms, the ARC provides a strong scientific base and a broadly distributed technology transfer capacity to the entire agricultural industry in South Africa.
The ARC-Central Office (ARC-CO) seeks to appoint a highly skilled, experienced and dynamic person to the following position at Hatfield, Pretoria:
Key Performance Areas:
- Provide expertise for quality research and analysis in the field of agricultural economics, including- macroeconomic development, impact of R&D on socio-economic development, economics of agricultural technology policy;
- Provide strategic advice with respect to economic trends and implications on ARC business;
- Evaluate the viability of research programmes of the ARC, to support investment decisions and determine the impact of the ARC’s research and technology transfer effort;
- Contribute to positioning the Economic Analysis Unit of the ARC as a Centre of excellence in research;
- Drive conceptualisation and implementation of multidisciplinary research projects and scaling of research
for impact across the ARC;
- Mobilise internal and external funding for research projects;
- Contribute to student supervision, mentoring and peer-support of colleagues;
- Publish research in accredited peer reviewed journals.
- A PhD degree in Agricultural Economics or a relevant field;
- 3-5 years’ relevant postgraduate work experience (can be before or after the PhD);
- Proven capabilities for quantitative data analysis and competency with at least two of SPSS, Stata and EViews;
- Evidence of ability to publish in agricultural economics or related fields of research (at least 3 publications);
- Sound understanding of the priorities and challenges facing the agricultural sector in South Africa;
- Ability to build and manage relationships with other researchers, as well as a wide range of stakeholders outside ARC;
- A valid code EC1 Driver’s Licence.
Enquires: Dr Petronella Chaminuka, Tel: (012) 427-9818/9834
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 13 JULY 2023
A competitive remuneration package will be congruent with the scope, responsibilities and the stature of the position. The appointment will be subject to a positive security clearance and preference will be given to South African citizens,
Applications accompanied by covering letter, detailed CV (Including certificates, supporting documents, copy of driver’s license and nationality. NB: Non-RSA Citizens/work permit holders must attach certified copies) as well as the names and particulars of three (3) traceable referees. Applications must be made on line using the following
application form Click on the link. https://forms.office.com/r/q5dfgWw6WN
SAQA evaluation report must accompany foreign qualifications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants who do not receive any response four (4) weeks after the closing date must regard their applications as unsuccessful. The Agricultural Research Council is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles and processes of Employment Equity. The company has the right not to appoint.