Babette Taute Scholarship South Africa 2023-2024
The late Babette Taute left the major part of her estate to establish a bursary trust for students of English at South African universities.
Applicants must be South African citizens or have Permanent Resident status in South Africa.
A number of Honours Babette Taute Scholarship of R75 000 each will be available for full time students in a one-year Honours programme. Students of any branch of English language and literature study, including applied language studies, are eligible for the scholarships.
Awards are made on merit, broadly interpreted. A fine academic record is a requirement for an award. However, the trustees are also interested in other indices of merit. These might include leadership in cultural or social areas, quality of writing and publications, and excellence as a teacher of English or a translator.
Babette Taute Scholarship holders may accept other awards, provided that the total value of awards held does not exceed R120 000. The Babette Taute Scholarship may be reduced in value to bring it in line with this requirement.
Application forms are obtainable from the Department of English, the financial aid office at this university, or from The Babette Taute Trust, C/O Ms Naaznien Parker at Naaznien.Parker@sanlam.co.za. AND Helene Schneider at Helene.Schneider@sanlam.co.za
The closing date for receipt of applications by the Trustees is 17 November 2023. Applicants will be informed of the outcome of the selection process early in January 2024.
All correspondence should carry the subject line: “Babette Taute 2024 Application/Query: (Surname of Author)”
Note that incomplete applications will not be considered. Make sure that the application forms are with Naaznien AND Helene – on time or before due date. AS NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED IF RECEIVED AFTER THE DUE DATE! Make sure that references are submitted by the deadline. Please ask your referee to send you an email confirmation of submission. References must remain confidential from the applicant.
DOCUMENTS AND INFORMATION THAT MUST ACCOMPANY THIS APPLICATION: Babette Taute Scholarship South Africa 2023-2024
1. A brief (1-2 page) curriculum vitae, highlighting your academic and other achievements and activities over the past two or three years. (The committee is interested in your academic excellence, your intellectual range, and your initiative or leadership in social and cultural activities.)
2. A piece of writing of any length (but not more than 500 words) in any genre that best captures your outstanding talents. You could compose a short poem, a narrative or any other form of creative writing that will give the selection panel an idea of what makes you exceptional. This may include previous works/assignments done. (Do not rewrite your CV.)
3. An up to date official transcript of your academic record at university or a certified copy of such a transcript. (The committee needs the most up to date official information. A certificate from your faculty or department giving results not yet in the transcript may be added.)
4. Any other evidence of your suitability as a candidate. (This may include evidence of merit awards or of your excellence as a teacher, translator, interpreter, scriptwriter or other language practitioner.)
5. The contact particulars of two academic referees who are qualified to comment on how good you are as a university student of English and who are prepared to support your application. You should approach the referees and ask for their support before submitting their names. You must give each referee a copy of the attached letter with your particulars filled in. Please ask referees to confirm by email that they have sent the reference, but the reference itself should remain confidential. Referees are asked to send their confidential reports directly to the Babette Taute Trust. (Email Ms Naaznien Parker at Naaznien.Parker@sanlam.co.za and Helene.Schneider@sanlam.co.za) Advise referees that the subject line of the email to Sanlam should read: “Babette Taute 2024 Reference: (Your Surname)”.
6. Please send your final results by 15 December 2023. If you have a transcript of final results by 15 December 2023, please send it. If official results are not yet available, please send at least your final grade for English, endorsed by the Course Convenor or Head of Department. Where no results are available, please inform Sanlam by email. The selection panel prefers to see full results where available, but your application will not be prejudiced if final marks have not been released. (All results should be sent to Naaznien.Parker@sanlam.co.za and Helene.Schneider@sanlam.co.za with the subject line: “Babette Taute 2023 Final Results: Surname”)
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT CONSIDERED. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST
INCLUDE THE REFEREES’ LETTERS.
7. Should your application be successful, the Babette Taute Trust and Selection Panel would like you to send your midyear and final results for the 2023 study year, together with a short cover letter informing us of your progress and plans.