Deadline: 14 July 2023
Gauteng City-Region Observatory Writing Workshop 2023
Applications are invited from early career researchers who would like to participate in a writing workshop on the theme ‘Governing for urban inclusion.’ The workshop will take place in Johannesburg in April 2024 and will be hosted jointly by the Geography Department at the University of Cambridge and the Gauteng City-Region Observatory. It is funded by the British Academy and follows an earlier event held in 2019 that was attended by 30 participants.
This workshop targets early career researchers based in Southern Africa working on topics broadly related to the workshop theme ‘Governing for urban inclusion’. It is intended for researchers at the following career stages:
- PhD students who have completed their fieldwork and have a draft chapter which they think could become an academic paper.
- Recently graduated PhDs and postdocs who are at an early stage in their publishing careers and have draft articles.
- Scholars who have had some experience publishing and have a draft article they intend to submit to a high impact international journal.
- September 2023 – January 2024: Four online small group meetings to support the drafting of papers.
- 15 December 2023: Submit a first draft of article to group members.
- January 2024: Provide input on group members’ draft articles.
- 15 March 2024: Submit a second draft to group members.
- April 2024: Provide written comments on the second drafts of group members’ articles.
- The week beginning 15 April 2024: Participate in a three day in-person workshop where each participant will present their paper. (Although this will not be a hybrid event, those unable to travel due to childcare and other reasons can be offered separate virtual sessions).
- June – August 2024: Participate in three online small group meetings to support revisions for submission.
- 30 September 2024: Final submission of article to a high impact journal.