SAMRC Biomedical Research and Innovation Platform (BRIP) Opportunities 2023-2026
Opportunity to pursue PhD or MSc study (2023-2026) at the SAMRC Biomedical Research and Innovation Platform (BRIP), Parow, Cape Town in collaboration with SSISA at UCT.
Applications are invited for a PhD or MSc candidate for a project investigating a commercially available food product – Baobab fruit powder – for gut and cardiometabolic health benefits in apparently healthy adults with obesity. The study will recruit 50 participants and explore biomarkers of gut health and cardiometabolic risk prior to and following 45 days of supplementation with baobab or placebo.
The study will take place at the Sports Science Institute South Africa (SSISA) in Newlands.
BSc Hons or MSc degree in Physiology, Biology, Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry or a related discipline.
- Assist with participant recruitment and data collection (questionnaires), biological sample (blood urine and stool) processing and storage, data entry
- Laboratory analyses of samples, data analyses
- Writing reports and publications
• Proactive and self-driven/self-motivated, excellent organization and communication skills
• Driver’s license and own transport for commuting between SSISA and SAMRC
•Laboratory skills (Molecular Biology, Aseptic technique)
+Prior experience with coordination or assisting with studies involving human participants
+Experience with or interest in liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry techniques
+Interest in bioinformatics or analysis of microbiome data sets
VALUE, PERIOD AND CONDITIONS OF THE AWARD
• The candidate can be supported with a stipend for up to one year (R150 000). The candidate will be required to apply for bursaries (e.g. at NRF or SAMRC) or provide their own funding thereafter.
•A cover letter indicating why the applicant may be appropriate for this project (max 1 page)
•Curriculum vitae, including 3 contactable references;
•Copy of ID;
•Certified copies of highest qualifications.
Start date 01 August 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com before the closing date: 10/07/2023
For further inquiries, please contact Dr Sylvia Riedel: 021 9380844