UNHCR Rwanda DAFI Scholarship Programme 2023-2024
UNHCR Rwanda is pleased to announce that applications for the DAFI scholarship are open. For the academic year 2023/2024, there are 40 new scholarships for qualified refugees and asylum-seekers in Rwanda. Students who meet the eligibility criteria are invited to apply for this scholarship program by 15th September 2023.
UNHCR’s Tertiary Refugee Scholarship Programme (DAFI) offers qualified refugee and returnee (in selected countries*) students the possibility to earn an undergraduate degree in their country of asylum or home country. The scholarship package varies from country to country and covers a range of costs including tuition and study materials, food, transportation, and accommodation.
DAFI covers programmes at International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) level 6, bachelor’s degrees or equivalent level qualifications. The scholarship is designed to provide students with academic and/or professional knowledge, skills, and competencies, leading to a first degree or equivalent qualification. DAFI can also cover short-cycle tertiary education, ISCED level 5 courses. This includes accredited Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programmes of two years or more that lead to a certification or diploma.
DAFI scholars are expected to participate in community engagement and skills development activities linked to their studies. UNHCR, alongside its education partners, maintain close contact with each scholar and with the higher education institutions they study at to ensure the academic success and well-being of each student. The DAFI scholarship does NOT cover master’s studies.
In Rwanda, UNHCR has awarded over 500 DAFI scholarships to eligible refugees at a bachelor’s degree level. For the academic year 2023/2024, there are 40 new scholarships for qualified refugees and asylum-seekers in Rwanda. Students who meet the following eligibility criteria are invited to apply for this scholarship program by 15th September 2023.
MAIN ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR THE UNHCR Rwanda DAFI Scholarship Programme 2023-2024
- The applicant must be a recognized refugee or asylum seeker living in Rwanda.
- Priority will be given to those who achieved excellent academic performance.
- Applicant should have been accepted to a university in Rwanda. (You will have to submit proof of admission to a university.)
- Only one family member can apply/obtain DAFI scholarship to ensure that benefits allocated are equally given to other refugee students.
- Applicants currently benefiting from another scholarship programmes, for example, Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Kepler, African Leadership university and so on are not eligible to apply for DAFI scholarship.
- Applicants who have been confirmed to depart for resettlement to third countries are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
SECONDARY SELECTION CRITERIA FOR THE UNHCR Rwanda DAFI Scholarship Programme 2023-2024
- Priority for female applicants: One of UNHCR’s priorities is to increase the number of girls attending primary and post-primary education. In support of this policy, DAFI scholarships aims to maintain gender parity (of 50%) in tertiary education.
- Persons with specific needs: Refugee students with special education needs or members of vulnerable households with excellent academic records will be given special consideration during the selection of candidates.
All application should be submitted through online application form, available at the following link: https://unhcr-dafi-tertiary.scholarshipsplatform.com/
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO BE ATTACHED OR UPLOADED
- Please attach your Proof of registration or ProGres number or Factsheet, or UNHCR asylum seeker certificate, UNHCR ID or Foreigner ID
- Please upload your official/certified copy of the high school diploma.
- Please upload university admission letter or proof of acceptance for study in one or more universities in Rwanda
- Please upload the equivalence certificate from the Ministry of Education of the country of asylum (optional)
Applications will be received from 21 August to 15th of September 2023. Application submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
If you encounter any difficulties accessing internet connectivity or require technical assistance for uploading the required documents, kindly reach out to the nearest Digital Career Counselors or Community Centers in your vicinity.