Deadline: 31 Jul 2023 Pakistan Standard Time
UNICEF Pakistan Nutrition Internship Programme 2023
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
Job no: 563459
Contract type: Internship
Duty Station: Islamabad
For every child, Nutrition !
Pakistan was the sixth country in the world to sign and ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child, less than one year after it was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1989. However, children and adolescents living in Pakistan still face acute challenges.
UNICEF supports the Government of Pakistan to accelerate progress for children, work to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and help children realize their rights under the Convention on the Rights of Children. This will be made through, among others things, strong partnerships with provincial authorities, teachers and health professionals, frontline workers and social mobilisers, communities and families, and of course the children and adolescents themselves.
In particular, UNICEF will work so that:
- Every child survives and thrives — being in good health, immunized, protected from polio and accessing nutritious food.
- Every child learns.
- Every child is protected from violence and exploitation and registered at birth.
- Every child lives in a safe and clean environment, with access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.
How can you make a difference?
Under the general guidance and direction of the Chief of Nutrition, and direct supervision of Nutrition Specialists and Officers in the respective UNICEF Country and Field Offices, the Nutrition Intern will.
- Assist in implementation of maternal and adolescent nutrition strategies in the respective offices.
- Assist and support in documentation of promising practices/lessons
- Conduct research on topics of relevance to UNICEF Pakistan Country Office Nutrition Programme priorities (e.g. maternal nutrition, adolescent nutrition, early childhood development…. etc.).
- Support the programme team with the drafting and editing of reports, presentations, official communications, speeches and articles.
- Assist the nutrition team in coordinating with partners and stakeholders.
- Provide logistical support on activities such as the organization and reporting of conferences, events, training courses, etc.
Other tasks as assigned
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate, or Ph.D. degree programme or have graduated within the past two years in Human Nutrition, public health, nutritional epidemiology, global/international health and nutrition, health/nutrition research, policy and/or management, health sciences, nutritional epidemiology or other health related science field is required.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- Have excellent academic performance as demonstrated by recent university or institution records.
- Must have proof of medical insurance covering their time at the duty station.
- Additional consideration will be given for any past experience relevant to Nutrition/Public Health issues/ Health intervention.
- Be proficient in at least one of UNICEF’s working languages: English, French or Spanish. Fluency in the working language of the office you are applying to is required.
- Have NO immediate relatives (e.g. father, mother, brother, sister) working in any UNICEF office; and have no other relatives in the line of authority that the intern will report to; and are not disqualified under the UNICEF Child Safeguarding Personnel Standards (DHR/STANDARDS/2019/001), or as amended.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
(1) Builds and maintains partnerships(2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness(3)Drive to achieve results for impact(4)Innovates and embraces change(5) Manages ambiguity and complexity(6)Thinks and acts strategically(7)Works collaboratively with others.
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.