Closing date: 24 July 2023.
University of the Free State (UFS) Opportunities 2023
Programme Director (Contract appointment: 5 years, with the possibility of serving a second term) (Job ID: 5335) – (1046)
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY FULL-TIME PERMANENT ACADEMIC PERSONNEL FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS OR OF THE INVOLVED DEPARTMENTS, NAMELY CHEMISTRY, COMPUTER SCIENCE AND INFORMATICS AND PHYSICS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF THE FREE STATE (UFS) WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POST.
KINDLY TAKE NOTE: Applications may only be submitted online through the official UFS vacancy website: https://ufs.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/JobSearch/viewAll – Applications submitted through any other platform will not be considered.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Influence the curriculation processes of the department.
- Develop new learning programmes in consultation with stakeholders.
- Ensure frequent and continuous development and management of the operational plan of the Programme.
- Provide general leadership in the Programme and ensure academic coherence across all various modules of the programme.
- Ensure that the activities of the Programme are undertaken in accordance with the governance, policy and regulatory frameworks of the University.
- Assume responsibility for the academic quality of the Programme.
- Ensure scholarship of high quality.
- Manage matters relating to teaching, learning, and students in the Programme.
- Conduct own research.
- Provide academic advice in terms of academic inquiries, amendments of yearbooks, schedules, timetables, etc. related to the Programme.
- Serve on the marketing committee of the faculty as necessary.
- Assist with marketing pamphlets or any suitable marketing material.
Inherent Job requirements:
- MSc on NQF Level 9.
- A full-time, permanent member of the academic staff of the involved departments, namely Mathematics & Applied Mathematics, Chemistry, Computer Science and Informatics and Physics at the University of the Free State (UFS).
Term of office: Five years, with the possibility of reappointment for a further term.
Key Competencies required:
• The ability to be reliable, responsible, dependable and to fulfil obligations.
• The ability to deal calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
• The ability to deal with several activities at a time.
• The ability to focus on details, work towards perfection, and approach work in a neat and organised manner.
• The ability to adhere to rules and strictly follow work regulations.
• Proficient in using MS Office.
• Knowledge of UFS systems (People Soft HR and People Soft Financials), and HR and Finance policies and procedures
• The ability to maintain high levels of personal motivation, energy and enthusiasm.
• The ability to be cooperative with others, display a good-natured attitude, and encourage people to work together.
• The ability to be sensitive and understanding to the needs and feelings of others.
• The ability to be self-assured and at ease with people in all types of social situations.
Please ensure all relevant documentation is attached to your application. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
*Certified copies must not be older than 6 months
- A detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter;
- Certified copies (not older than 6 months) of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications);
- A certified copy (not older than 6 months) of your identity document (ID);
- Proof of registration with a Professional Body (if applicable);
- A copy of your driver’s license (if applicable).
Assumption of duties: 1 September 2023.
Closing date: 24 July 2023.
The Programme Director allowance is payable, which is calculated according to a transparent formula approved by the relevant decision-making structures of the UFS. The value of the allowance is available on request.