YYAS: Yale Young African Scholars Program 2024
YYAS: Yale Young African Scholars Program is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students who plan to pursue tertiary education and wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Across both programs, participants will enhance their academic skills, receive university admission and financial aid application guidance, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the program, students will be paired with mentors who will help advise them throughout the university application process.
The YYAS: Yale Young African Scholars Program 2024 will offer an online program option and a residential program option. There are no tuition costs for participation in either program.
* YYAS Workshop (online): The YYAS Workshop will offer admission to ~200 students, and is open to students across all countries in Africa. To participate, students must be able to access Zoom and Canvas on their own mobile phone, tablet, and/or computer with reliable internet for the duration of the program. The program will focus on career exploration, preparing for the university application process, and making the transition from secondary school to university. Given the limited duration of the program, YYAS has strict attendance expectations where students are unable to miss even one day of the program. Students who successfully finish the program will receive a pdf YYAS Certificate of Completion that can be added to college and university applications.
Eligibility – YYAS: Yale Young African Scholars Program 2024
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Age: You must be between the ages of 14-18 years old on 18 July 2024 in order to be considered (i.e. born between 18 July 2006 and 18 July 2010). Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 16-17.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 10th or 11th grade student (or the international equivalents).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest May/June 2025 and no later than May/June 2026. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2024 and no later than November/December 2025.
If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
If you are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, you may NOT apply or reapply for YYAS. (*However, if you are a YYAS alumnus/a, you can apply to YYGS if eligible.)